Decodable Readers / Texts: Kindergarten Bundle
This is a bundle of decodable texts for Kindergarten students! A lesson plan for each reader is also included.
These materials will help your students:
- Practice specific phonics skills in context
- Develop strong decoding skills
- Learn to recognize high frequency words in context
- Experience reading SUCCESS!
Here’s what’s included:
- 31 decodable books
- Combination of fiction and nonfiction topics
- Professional illustrations (not clipart)
- 1 lesson plan per book
- 1 writing prompt per book
- “Easy assembly” color and B&W book format for each text
- 1-page color and B&W passage format for each text
- Digital-friendly option (1-page version of each text in a separate PDF for easy screensharing, using on student devices, or sending to families)
- Short a VC and CVC words
- Short e CVC words
- Short i VC and CVC words
- Short o VC and CVC words
- Short u VC and CVC words
- Mixed CVC words
- Digraphs sh, ch, th, ck, qu
- Mixed digraphs
- Beginning s-blends
- Beginning l-blends
- Beginning r-blends
- Mixed blends
Frequently Asked Questions:
What scope and sequence or program do these texts follow?
You can use these decodable books with any phonics program. You can view the skills covered in each book, as well as the sequence of the skills, in the free preview file.
Will these books match my high frequency word instruction?
Your students can be successful reading these decodable books even if your high frequency word instruction is not a 100% match. The number of high frequency words or irregular words in each text is limited. Plus, each lesson plan lists out all the high frequency words / irregular words covered in the text, so you can pre-teach any words that students do not already know.
Will this cover all my phonics instruction?
No. These decodable books are meant to supplement a phonics program, not replace one. You will still need explicit, systematic phonics lessons to teach each sound / pattern. If you need a complete program, check out From Sounds to Spelling (available off TpT).
Are these decodable books the same ones in your phonics program, From Sounds to Spelling?
No - they are different! They will work nicely with the program if you find yourself needing more decodable readers.