Decodable Safari Texts | Nonfiction Decodable Passages for First Grade
This set of nonfiction decodable passages will help your students practice their phonics and decoding skills. Your first graders will love learning about animals from these decodable passages!
These decodable passages will help your students:
- Practice specific
- Develop strong
- Learn to recognize in context
- Recognize and utilize
- Improve their nonfiction reading
- Experience reading SUCCESS!
Here’s what’s included:
- 22 decodable passages about animals (single page format)
- Professional photographs of each animal (not clipart)
- 1 lesson plan per decodable text
- 1 writing prompt per text
- 1 set of comprehension questions per text
- 1 graphic organizer per text
- Color and B&W versions of each component
- VC and CVC words
- Digraphs with short vowels
- Consonant blends with short vowels
- Silent e words
- R-controlled vowels
- Vowel teams
Frequently Asked Questions:
What scope and sequence or program do these decodable passages follow?
You can use these decodable texts with any phonics program. You can view the skills covered in each book, as well as the sequence of the skills, in the free preview file.
Will these decodable passages match my high frequency word instruction?
Your students can be successful reading these decodable texts even if your high frequency word instruction is not a 100% match. Plus, each lesson plan lists out all the high frequency words / irregular words covered in the text, so you can pre-teach any words that students do not already know.
Will this cover all my phonics instruction?
No. These decodable texts are meant to supplement a phonics program, not replace one. You will still need explicit, systematic phonics lessons to teach each sound / pattern. If you need a complete program, check out From Sounds to Spelling (available off TpT).