Diphthongs Intervention Pack | No-Prep, Phonics-Based Reading Intervention
Do you have students who need extra help to master diphthongs? This Diphthongs Intervention Pack makes it easy (and fun!) to get your students up-to-speed with reading and spelling words that have diphthong sounds. The patterns covered in this intervention pack include ou/ow, aw/au, and oi/oy.
Time to implement interventions is often limited, so this resource is:
- No-prep: just print and place student pages in binders, or staple packets together
- Flexible: you can decide how many activities to complete per day based upon how much time you have
- Structured and consistent: when students know what to expect, intervention time goes more quickly and smoothly
- Data-driven: assessments are provided after instruction on each diphthong, so you’ll know when students need further practice or when you can move on
To begin using the Diphthongs Intervention Pack, you’ll print out the teacher manual pages or plan to access them digitally. You’ll also print the student pages and place them into binders with page protectors, or you’ll staple packets together for the students. The only other materials you’ll need are writing utensils, dice, and counters.
In each intervention session, you can choose how many total activities students complete (it’s easy to stop and resume practice another day). The teacher manual will tell you exactly what to do and say. For some of the activities, you can get students started and then attend to another task or provide individual support while the rest of the students continue working.
For each diphthong, students will practice:
- Identifying pictures that have the target diphthong
- Blending to read short vowel words with the target diphthong
- Using magnetic letters or paper letter tiles to build words with the target diphthong
- Reading real and nonsense words with the target diphthong
- Reading sentences containing words with the target diphthong and simple high frequency words
- Reading and answering questions about a decodable passage for the diphthong
Phonological awareness practice is embedded in the practice activities (however, the primary emphasis is on having students read and write words with the vowel team).
In addition to these routines provided for each diphthong, there are bonus games and activities to extend students’ practice.
You can follow the order of the packet for a suggested sequence, or you can easily cover the diphthongs out of order if you prefer.