Fall Decodable Texts for 2nd Grade | Passages on Fall and Fall Holidays
This set of fall decodable texts will help your 2nd grade students practice their decoding skills! These decodable passages and lesson plans cover fall topics like National Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month, Labor Day, Rosh Hashanah, Indigenous Peoples’ Day, Kids Music Day, Halloween, Day of the Dead, Thanksgiving, and more. The passages start out easier, so you can review skills at the beginning of the school year.
These materials will help your students:
- Practice specific phonics skills in context
- Develop strong decoding skills
- Learn to recognize high frequency words in context
- Experience reading SUCCESS!
Here’s what’s included:
- 14 decodable passages on fall and different holidays that occur during the fall months
- 1 lesson plan per text
- 1 writing prompt per text
- 1 set of comprehension questions per text
- 1 graphic organizer per text
- color and black and white versions of every item
- Digraphs (1 passage)
- Digraphs and CVCe (1 passage)
- Initial blends (2 passages)
- Ending blends (1 passage)
- Ending blends and CVCe (1 passage)
- Initial and ending blends (1 passage)
- Initial blends, ending blends, and CVCe (1 passage)
- Glued sound words (5 passages)
- Glued sound words and CVCe (1 passage)
- Fall (2)
- Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month (September)
- Labor Day (1st Monday in September)
- Rosh Hashanah (September)
- International Talk Like a Pirate Day (September 19th)
- National Dessert Day (October 14th)
- Indigenous Peoples’ Day (2nd Monday in October)
- Kids Music Day (1st Friday in October)
- Halloween (October 31st)
- Day of the Dead (November 1st and 2nd)
- National Adoption Month (November)
- Veterans Day (November 11th)
- Thanksgiving (4th Thursday in November)
Frequently Asked Questions:
What scope and sequence or program do these texts follow?
You can use these decodable texts with any phonics program! Please see the list above of the phonics skills addressed in the passages. These passages are great for working on new skills or for reviewing previously-taught skills.
Will these books match my high frequency word instruction?
Your students can be successful reading these decodable texts even if your high frequency word instruction is not a 100% match. Plus, each lesson plan lists out all the high frequency words / irregular words covered in the text, so you can pre-teach any words that students do not already know.
Will this cover all my phonics instruction?
No. These decodable texts are meant to supplement a phonics program, not replace one. You will still need explicit, systematic phonics lessons to teach each sound / pattern. If you need a complete program, check out From Sounds to Spelling.