Fall Decodable Texts for Kindergarten | Passages on Fall and Fall Holidays
This set of fall decodable texts will help your Kindergarten students practice their beginning decoding skills! These decodable passages and lesson plans cover fall topics like apple picking, Hispanic-Latino Heritage, Labor Day, fire prevention, Indigenous Peoples’ Day, Halloween, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving, and more. Although many Kindergarten students will not be reading at this point in the school year, you can use these passages for any “high flyers” who are already decoding. You might also project the texts and use them to model decoding for your students.
These materials will help your students:
- Practice specific phonics skills in context
- Develop strong decoding skills
- Learn to recognize high frequency words in context
- Experience reading SUCCESS!
Here’s what’s included:
- 14 single-page decodable texts on fall and different holidays that occur during the fall months
- 1 lesson plan per text
- 1 writing prompt per text
- 1 set of comprehension questions per text
- 1 graphic organizer per text
- color and black and white versions of every item
- Short i CVC words (2 passages)
- Short e CVC words (2 passages)
- Short a CVC words (2 passages)
- Short o CVC words (2 passages)
- Short u CVC words (2 passages)
- Mixed short vowel CVC words (4 passages)
- Fall (2)
- Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month (September)
- Labor Day (1st Monday in September)
- Better Breakfast Month (September)
- Grandparents’ Day (1st Sunday after Labor Day)
- Fire Prevention Day (October 9th)
- Indigenous Peoples’ Day (2nd Monday in October)
- Global Handwashing Day (October 15th)
- Halloween (October 31st)
- National Hug a Bear Day (November 7th)
- World Hello Day (November 21st)
- Veterans Day (November 11th)
- Thanksgiving (4th Thursday in November)
Frequently Asked Questions:
What scope and sequence or program do these texts follow?
You can use these decodable texts with any phonics program! Please see the list above of the phonics skills addressed in the passages. These passages are great for working on new skills or for reviewing previously-taught skills.
Will these books match my high frequency word instruction?
Your students can be successful reading these decodable texts even if your high frequency word instruction is not a 100% match. Plus, each lesson plan lists out all the high frequency words / irregular words covered in the text, so you can pre-teach any words that students do not already know.
Will this cover all my phonics instruction?
No. These decodable texts are meant to supplement a phonics program, not replace one. You will still need explicit, systematic phonics lessons to teach each sound / pattern. If you need a complete program, check out From Sounds to Spelling.