High Frequency Word Worksheets | Dolch Sight Word List Second Grade
Getting students to learn and remember high frequency words can be very challenging! It's also difficult to find meaningful worksheets for high frequency words (you might call them "sight words") so students can practice independently.
This High Frequency Words Worksheets Pack for the Dolch second grade words makes all of this easier! This bundle is for teachers who want to give their students meaningful activities so that they can master high frequency words quickly - and improve their reading fluency!
Here's a little background on effective high frequency word learning:
>> Sometimes kids learn high frequency words through rote memorization / visually learning what a word looks like.
>> Unfortunately, research shows that this is not the path to true word mastery!
>> Instead, we need to activate 3 different parts of our students' brains (the sounds, spelling, and meaning of a word).
>> Students also need to continue practicing decoding (reading) and encoding (writing) these words to “make them stick.”
>> This will help these new words eventually become “sight words,” or words a student can recognize instantly.
This High Frequency Words Worksheet Pack is based on this research! It has students:
- Activate the part of the brain where the spelling of the word is stored by: tracing, finding, writing, and spelling the word aloud with multi-sensory practice.
- Activate the part of the brain where the sounds of the word are stored by: segmenting the word and writing the word in sound boxes.
- Activate the part of the brain where the meaning of the word is stored by: reading sentences with the word, reading passages with the word, and writing their own sentences.
Included in this pack are:
- Individual focus sheets for each of the Second Grade Dolch Sight Words (divided into 9 sets of 5 or 6)
- 9 half-page word lists to send home for students to practice
- 9 passages that include the focus words, previously covered words, and easily decodable words
- Running records for each passage so you can monitor individual student progress
- 9 Cloze Sentences Worksheets where students fill in the focus words using knowledge of high frequency words and sentence structure
- 9 Sentence Writing Worksheets where students write their own sentences using each of the focus words.
Want to see just how helpful these High Frequency Worksheets can be in your classroom? Download the FREE product preview to see how the focus sheets and passages are organized!
Looking for High Frequency Word Worksheets for Fry’s First 100 words instead? Click here.
If you need completely editable High Frequency Word Worksheets to match a unique word list, click here.