Kindergarten, First Grade, and Second Grade Grammar Alive Bundle
Make Kindergarten, first grade, and second grade grammar skills meaningful and fun with this yearlong pack of materials!
Grammar Alive will help you:
- Bring grammar skills to life with active, engaging materials
- Follow best practices in grammar instruction
- Better understand grammar concepts so that you can clearly explain them to your students
- Save time in your literacy block with activities you can integrate into your existing lessons
- Greatly reduce your planning time
Each week of materials includes:
- Lesson plans that follow the gradual release of responsibility
- Example sentences that use the target skill in context
- Activities to reinforce the target skill
- Ideas for integrating grammar instruction into your existing reading and writing lessons
- An “I can” poster for the weekly skill
This product is for you if you:
- Work with multiple grade levels OR have a huge range of abilities in your classroom
- Need ideas and fun materials to keep your students engaged all year long
- Don’t have a lot of extra time in your schedule
- Aren’t sure how to help your students actually remember and apply grammar skills
- Want to seriously cut down on the time you spend planning for grammar
- Value best practices in literacy instruction
This product is not for you if you:
- Are looking for lots of worksheets or sentence-fixing activities
- Can’t spend 10-15 minutes on grammar about 2-3 times per week
How long do these activities take?
Most activities can be completed in 10-15 minutes, sometimes 20. The resource is extremely flexible and shows you where you can break up activities if you need to make something shorter.
Can these materials be used as centers, independent work, or D5 activities?
Yes! Each week has whole class lessons AND (optional) follow-up activities. Those follow-up activities work well as independent work, as long as you first model how to do them.
Can I start this program in the middle of the school year?
Definitely! Look over the list of weekly topics in the PDFs labeled “START HERE,” and eliminate any skills you’ve already taught. Then, start with whatever week seems most relevant to your students.
What skills or topics are covered?
A comprehensive skills list (this includes all grade levels, though not all skills are covered at each level) is as follows:
- Concept of a letter
- Concept of a capital and lowercase letter
- Concept of a word
- Concept of spoken sentences and printed sentences
- Reading and writing left-to-right, top-to-bottom (directionality of print)
- Speaking and writing in complete sentences
- Capitalizing the first word in a sentence
- Capitalizing the word “I”
- Capitalizing names
- Capitalizing proper nouns
- Correctly capitalizing and punctuating the date
- Correctly capitalizing and punctuating the greeting and closing of a letter
- Ending punctuation (periods, exclamation points, question marks)
- Writing statements, exclamations, and questions
- Using commas in a list sentence
- Nouns (common and proper)
- Sentence combining
- Adjectives, including shades of meaning
- Verbs, including shades of meaning
- Expanding sentences
- Subject and predicate
- Possessive nouns
- Collective nouns
- Personal pronouns
- Possessive pronouns
- Reflexive pronouns
- Indefinite pronouns
- Present, past, and future tense verbs
- Irregular past tense verbs
- Subject-verb agreement
- Informal and formal uses of language
- Articles and demonstratives (determiners)
Can I teach the skills out of order?
Absolutely! Keep in mind that the earlier weeks will include simpler skills, but it’s very easy to use the weeks out of order.
How long will these materials last?
These materials should last all year! The Kindergarten set has 30 weeks’ worth of lessons and activities, the 1st grade set has 35 weeks, and the 2nd grade set has 35 weeks.
Can I purchase just part of this resource?
This pack can only be purchased in full. However, you’re welcome to download three full weeks of lesson plans HERE.
Will it be difficult or expensive to print these materials?
No! The main PDFs have only black and white materials. You can print them as-is. There is an optional, separate PDF with color materials for the posters and some of the games.
Will this work well with your reading workshop and/or writing workshop materials?
Yes! Although Grammar Alive can work alongside any reading or writing program, it complements my reading and writing bundles nicely. If you follow the provided sequence of skills and lessons (for both Grammar Alive and my writing bundle), you’ll notice that Grammar Alive covers many skills right before or as you’re working on them in writing. This helps set students up for success!
If you have any other questions, please contact Alison at Alison@LearningAtThePrimaryPond.com. Don’t forget to view the preview and grab your free weeks of plans HERE!