Seasonal Decodable Texts for K-2 | All Seasons and Holidays Mega Bundle
This set of seasonal decodable texts will help your K-2 students practice their decoding skills! These decodable passages and lesson plans cover the 4 seasons, plus topics from every season, including: National Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month, Labor Day, Rosh Hashanah, Indigenous Peoples’ Day, Halloween, Day of the Dead, Thanksgiving, hibernation, New Year’s, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Valentine’s Day, planting, St. Patrick’s Day, Women’s History Month, Earth Day, Mother’s Day, Memorial Day, picnics, camping, Flag Day, Father’s Day, Canada Day, Independence Day, going back to school, and more.
These materials will help your students:
- Practice specific phonics skills in context
- Develop strong decoding skills
- Learn to recognize high frequency words in context
- Experience reading SUCCESS!
Here’s what’s included:
- 169 decodable texts
- 1 lesson plan per text
- 1 writing prompt per text
- 1 set of comprehension questions per text
- 1 graphic organizer per text
- color and black and white versions of every item
- Short vowel CVC words (33 passages)
- Digraphs (14 passages)
- Blends (28 passages)
- CVCe words (26 passages)
- Glued sound words (12 passages)
- Double final consonant words (5 passages)
- R-controlled words (9 passages)
- Vowel teams (17 passages)
- Inflected endings -ed, -ing, -s (4 passages)
- Long vowels in closed syllable exceptions (6 passages)
- Prefixes and suffixes (1 passage)
- Diphthongs (1 passage)
- Multisyllabic words (14 passages)
- Apple picking
- Hispanic-Latino Heritage Month (September)
- Labor Day (1st Monday in September)
- Rosh Hashanah (September)
- Indigenous Peoples’ Day (2nd Monday in October)
- Halloween (October 31st)
- Day of the Dead (November 1st and 2nd)
- Veterans Day (November 11th)
- Thanksgiving (4th Thursday in November)
- December holidays
- New Year’s (January 1st)
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Chinese New Year
- Groundhog Day (February 2nd)
- Valentine’s Day (February 14th)
- U.S. Presidents Day
- Women’s History Month (March)
- St. Patrick’s Day (March 14th)
- Earth Day (April 22nd)
- Mother’s Day
- Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month (May)
- Memorial Day, U.S.
- U.S. Flag Day (June 14th)
- Father’s Day (June)
- Canada Day (July 1st)
- U.S. Independence Day (July 4th)
- Back to School (August)
- And more!
Frequently Asked Questions:
What scope and sequence or program do these texts follow?
You can use these decodable texts with any phonics program! Please see the list above of the phonics skills addressed in the passages. These passages are great for working on new skills or for reviewing previously-taught skills.
Will these books match my high frequency word instruction?
Your students can be successful reading these decodable texts even if your high frequency word instruction is not a 100% match. Plus, each lesson plan lists out all the high frequency words / irregular words covered in the text, so you can pre-teach any words that students do not already know.
Will this cover all my phonics instruction?
No. These decodable texts are meant to supplement a phonics program, not replace one. You will still need explicit, systematic phonics lessons to teach each sound / pattern. If you need a complete program, check out From Sounds to Spelling.