Spring Decodable Texts for K-2 | Passages BUNDLE
This set of spring decodable texts will help your students practice their decoding skills with a big range of phonics skills! These decodable passages and lesson plans cover fun spring topics like plants, Women’s History Month, St. Patrick’s Day, April Fool’s Day, Earth Day, Mother’s Day, Memorial Day, and more.
These materials will help your students:
- Practice specific phonics skills in context
- Develop strong decoding skills
- Learn to recognize high frequency words in context
- Experience reading SUCCESS!
Here’s what’s included:
- 42 decodable passages on different holidays that occur during the spring months
- 1 lesson plan per text
- 1 writing prompt per text
- 1 set of comprehension questions per text
- 1 graphic organizer per text
- color and black and white versions of every item
- CVC words (8 passages)
- Digraph words with short vowels (2 passages)
- Consonant blends (4 passages)
- CVCe / silent e words (2 passages)
- R-controlled vowels (9 passages)
- Vowel teams and long vowels (17 passages)
Passage topics include:
- Plants (2)
- Spring storms
- The water cycle
- Spring on the farm
- Bike safety
- Women’s History Month (March)
- National Dentist Day (March 6)
- St. Patrick’s Day
- Children’s Craft Day (March 14)
- World Storytelling Day (March 20)
- World Autism Month (April)
- Stress Awareness Month (April)
- April Fool’s Day
- International Kids’ Yoga Day (April 8)
- Bring Your Child To Work Day (April)
- National Robotics Week (April)
- Earth Day
- Siblings Day (April 10)
- Mother’s Day
- Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month (May)
- Mental Health Month (May)
- Mother Goose Day (May 1st)
- May Day (May 1)
- National Kids Fitness Day (May 4th)
- Memorial Day, U.S.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What scope and sequence or program do these texts follow?
You can use these decodable texts with any phonics program! Please see the list above of the phonics skills addressed in the passages. These passages are great for working on new skills or for reviewing previously-taught skills.
Will these books match my high frequency word instruction?
Your students can be successful reading these decodable texts even if your high frequency word instruction is not a 100% match. Plus, each lesson plan lists out all the high frequency words / irregular words covered in the text, so you can pre-teach any words that students do not already know.
Will this cover all my phonics instruction?
No. These decodable texts are meant to supplement a phonics program, not replace one. You will still need explicit, systematic phonics lessons to teach each sound / pattern. If you need a complete program, check out From Sounds to Spelling.