Spring Decodable Texts for Second Grade | Passages on Spring and Spring Holidays
This set of spring decodable texts will help your 2nd grade students practice their decoding skills! These decodable passages and lesson plans cover fun spring topics like spring on the farm, St. Patrick’s Day, Women’s History Month, Earth Day, Mother’s Day, Memorial Day, and more.
These materials will help your students:
- Practice specific phonics skills in context
- Develop strong decoding skills
- Learn to recognize high frequency words in context
- Experience reading SUCCESS!
Here’s what’s included:
- 14 decodable passages on spring and different holidays that occur during the spring months
- 1 lesson plan per text
- 1 writing prompt per text
- 1 set of comprehension questions per text
- 1 graphic organizer per text
- color and black and white versions of every item
- R-controlled vowels (4 passages)
- Vowel teams and long vowels (10 passages)
- Spring on the farm
- Bike safety
- Women’s History Month (March)
- St. Patrick’s Day
- World Storytelling Day (March 20)
- World Autism Month (April)
- Stress Awareness Month (April)
- Earth Day
- Mother’s Day
- Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month (May)
- Mental Health Month (May)
- Memorial Day, U.S.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What scope and sequence or program do these texts follow?
You can use these decodable texts with any phonics program! Please see the list above of the phonics skills addressed in the passages. These passages are great for working on new skills or for reviewing previously-taught skills.
Will these books match my high frequency word instruction?
Your students can be successful reading these decodable texts even if your high frequency word instruction is not a 100% match. Plus, each lesson plan lists out all the high frequency words / irregular words covered in the text, so you can pre-teach any words that students do not already know.
Will this cover all my phonics instruction?
No. These decodable texts are meant to supplement a phonics program, not replace one. You will still need explicit, systematic phonics lessons to teach each sound / pattern. If you need a complete program, check out From Sounds to Spelling.
Additional Grade Levels:
For a set of Kindergarten decodable texts, click HERE!
For a set of 1st grade decodable texts, click HERE!