Summer Decodable Texts for K-2 | Passage BUNDLE
This set of summer decodable texts will help your students practice their decoding skills with a big range of phonics skills! These decodable passages and lesson plans cover summer topics like Father’s Day, summer solstice, Flag Day, Independence Day, safety month, National S’mores Day, National Ice Cream Day, back to school, and more.
NOTE: This passage set includes more challenging skills for each grade level and is best used at the end of the school year, or even for reading material to be sent home over summer break!
These materials will help your students:
- Practice specific phonics skills in context
- Develop strong decoding skills
- Learn to recognize high frequency words in context
- Experience reading SUCCESS!
Here’s what’s included:
- 42 decodable passages on different holidays that occur during the summer months
- 1 lesson plan per text
- 1 writing prompt per text
- 1 set of comprehension questions per text
- 1 graphic organizer per text
- color and black and white versions of every item
- CVC words (2 passages)
- Consonant blends (4 passages)
- CVCe words (8 passages)
- Long vowel patterns (14 passages)
- Diphthongs and multisyllabic words (14 passages)
Passage topics include:
- Summer (3)
- Solar eclipse
- National Donut Day (June)
- National Yo-Yo Day (June 6th)
- World Ocean Day (June 8th)
- U.S. Flag Day (June 14th)
- Father’s Day (June)
- National Eat Your Vegetables Day (June 17th)
- Summer Solstice (June)
- Child Vision Awareness Month (June)
- Canada Day (July 1st)
- National Postal Workers Day (July 1st)
- Independence Day, U.S. (July 4th)
- National Ice Cream Day (July)
- UV Safety Awareness Month (July)
- Safety Month (July)
- National Watermelon Day (August 3rd)
- National Chocolate Chip Cookie Day (August 4th)
- National S’mores Day (August 10th)
- International Left Handers Day (August 13th)
- National Friendship Day (August)
- Back to School (August)
- National Immunization Awareness Month (August)
Frequently Asked Questions:
What scope and sequence or program do these texts follow?
You can use these decodable texts with any phonics program! Please see the list above of the phonics skills addressed in the passages. These passages are great for working on new skills or for reviewing previously-taught skills.
Will these books match my high frequency word instruction?
Your students can be successful reading these decodable texts even if your high frequency word instruction is not a 100% match. Plus, each lesson plan lists out all the high frequency words / irregular words covered in the text, so you can pre-teach any words that students do not already know.
Will this cover all my phonics instruction?
No. These decodable texts are meant to supplement a phonics program, not replace one. You will still need explicit, systematic phonics lessons to teach each sound / pattern. If you need a complete program, check out From Sounds to Spelling.