Winter Holiday Decodables | Seasonal Texts For Kindergarten
This set of winter decodable texts will help your students practice their decoding skills! These decodable passages and lesson plans cover winter topics like snow, December holidays, New Year’s, Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Valentine’s Day, and more.
These materials will help your students:
- Practice specific phonics skills in context
- Develop strong decoding skills
- Learn to recognize high frequency words in context
- Experience reading SUCCESS!
Here’s what’s included:
- 14 single-page decodable texts on winter and different holidays that occur during the winter months
- 1 lesson plan per text
- 1 writing prompt per text
- 1 set of comprehension questions per text
- 1 graphic organizer per text
- color and black and white versions of every item
- VC and CVC words (6 passages)
- CVC words + digraph words with short vowels (8 passages)
- Winter solstice
- Wilma Rudolph
- “Eat a Red Apple Day” (December 1)
- “Bake Cookies Day” (December 18)
- December holidays (one passage that covers Christmas, Hanukkah, and Kwanzaa)
- New Year’s
- National Beans Day (January 6)
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- National Eye Care month (January)
- Groundhog Day
- Valentine’s Day
- U.S. Presidents’ Day
Frequently Asked Questions:
What scope and sequence or program do these texts follow?
You can use these decodable texts with any phonics program! Please see the list above of the phonics skills addressed in the passages.
Will these books match my high frequency word instruction?
Your students can be successful reading these decodable texts even if your high frequency word instruction is not a 100% match. Plus, each lesson plan lists out all the high frequency words / irregular words covered in the text, so you can pre-teach any words that students do not already know.
Will this cover all my phonics instruction?
No. These decodable texts are meant to supplement a phonics program, not replace one. You will still need explicit, systematic phonics lessons to teach each sound / pattern. If you need a complete program, check out From Sounds to Spelling.
For a set of 1st grade decodable texts, click HERE!
For a set of 2nd grade decodable texts, click HERE!